Board of Directors Application Information
Board of Directors Member Application Information
This page also provides very important information about what's needed as part of the Board application.
Deadline for submission is Monday, May 17, 2021.
CBDCE Board of Directors Composition and Seats Available
The composition of the CBDCE Board of Directors (Board) is identified in the organization's bylaws:
The number of “Professional Discipline” Directors shall be no more than eleven voting members. These shall consist of at least nine active status Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialists (CDCESs) to include at least two registered nurses, two registered dietitians/dietitian nutritionists, one pharmacist, one provider (MD, DO, PA, NP), and one “other” professional. The additional two members can come from any discipline. The “other” professional category includes any discipline other than registered nurse, registered dietitian/dietitian nutritionist, pharmacist, or provider. In addition, a public member also serves on the Board.
In accordance with the bylaws, specific positions must be filled to maintain the Board composition. Positions to be filled by election in 2021 for service beginning in 2022 are three CDCES seats: one pharmacist and two CDCESs from any discipline; and one public member seat. Individuals elected will serve a four-year term.
All applicants for the CDCES seats must be diabetes care and education specialists holding active certification with CBDCE.
For the public member:
To be eligible for nomination for the 2021 election, a Public Member applicant shall represent the interests of consumers of diabetes care and education services and not be a CDCES or diabetes educator (active, inactive, or retired status).
The public member will also meet the criteria established in the current National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) Standards for the Accreditation of Certification Programs. As such, the public member is NOT:
- A current or previous member of the profession, occupation, role, or specialty area encompassed by the certification program;
- A supervisor, manage, direct co-worker, or an employee or subordinate of individuals in the profession encompassed by the certification programs;
- An employee of an individual certified by the certification program or of an employer of individuals in the profession encompassed by the certification program;
- A person who currently receives or within the last five years has received income from the profession encompassed by the certification program.
Director Responsibilities and Other Important Information
CDCESs who serve on the Board receive an extension of their certification expiration date on an annual basis until their full term is completed. At that time, a final extension of the expiration date is made for two full years, with recertification needed in the third year after the end of the term.
During term of office and for two years after completing board tenure, directors may not participate in the development or presentation of review courses, study guides, or any materials designed primarily for examination review purposes.
Understanding and appreciation of the responsibilities and commitments necessary to serve effectively are of critical importance before making the decision to apply. CBDCEs Board of Directors Role Description provides an overview of the responsibilities and expectations of those elected to serve on the Board. You'll also want to review the CBDCE Bylaws.
CDCES Seats: Prepare to Apply
- Review the Board of Directors Role Description.
- Review the CBDCE Bylaws.
- Add @cbdce.org to your safe senders or friends list for your email account.
- For CDCES Seats, complete the online application. Once you start the application, you'll need to complete it all in one sitting. Read the information below and pull your information, responses, and documents together before you start the application. Then, when you're all ready, click here to access the form.
- Note: For the public member seat, complete the Public Member pdf application which is different than the online application.
- Quick Tip: As you must complete the application in one sitting, applicants are strongly encouraged to prepare their statements/answers to questions in a separate document and transfer to the application when applying.
For the Board application for CDCES seats, you'll need to have the following information/responses and documents ready:
- For Section B - CDCES Certification (see certificate, wallet card or CDCES portal):
- CDCES Number (8 digits)
- Year of Initial Certification
- Year Recertified (if applicable)
- Expiration Date
- For Section C - Education Background:
- Highest Academic Level Achieved
- Degree Earned/Year Conferred
- College/University with City and State
- Major Area of Study
- For Section D - Professional Experience in Diabetes Care and Education:
- Practice Setting for Present Employment
- Average Number of Hours Per Week Spent Providing Diabetes Care and Education
- Total Years Experience
- Description of Work/Volunteer Experience as a CDCES (max of 100 words)
- Description of Skills and Training You Possess that Qualify You to Be a Director of CBDCE (max of 100 words)
- For Section E - Professional Activities (positions/offices held with dates):
- National Diabetes Care and Education Activities
- State/Local Diabetes Care and Education Activities within last 10 years
- Other Board/Committee Activities within last 5 years
- Key Initiatives with Previous Actitvities (max of 150 words)
- Other Relevant Activities Positions/Offices Held within last 5 years
- For Section F - Active Professional Memberships: Name of organizations
- For Section G - Applicant Statements (answers to the following questions - see Quick Tip above):
- Why are you interested in serving on the CBDCE Board? (max of 150 words)
- How do you define the role of a CDCES? (max of 150 words)
- How does your professional experience reflect your leadership abilities? (max of 150 words)
- What professional roles have required you to participate as a team member; what did you learn about the concept of teamwork in those roles? (max of 200 words)
- What are the top 3 current challenges and opportunities that exist for the CDCES in today's health care environment; how do you see those evolving (if so), in the next 5-7 years? (max of 250 words)
- What are the top 3 challenges facing CBDCE during the next 3-5 years; what are some strategies to help CBDCE meet these challenges? (max of 250 words)
- For Submission Page - Document Uploads*, you'll need to have these three documents ready to upload to the Submission page of the application:
- Current curriculum vitae or resume
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from persons knowledgeable about your professional practice experience and activities in diabetes care and education
*All required uploads must accompany the application. Note: File format must be .doc, .docx, or .pdf.